Saturday, August 27, 2011

Just one of those petty dilemmas

My sister Clarissa gave me a pair of UGGs today. They are cute purple ones with a button on the side. I am thrilled at the receipt of these barely used boots. It got me thinking about how UGGs, which once appeared to be a trend, have really managed to stick around. I remember all the way back to 2002 when my older sister Benny got her first pair. I remember thinking they were quite hideous. I also remember eventually succumbing to them myself, and how I own quite a few pairs these days.

However, the issues I have with them:
1) Contrary to popular belief, UGGs really aren't that warm. Yes they are fuzzy and plushy little things, but they are fickle when it comes to rain and extreme cold. I just purchased some Sorel boots, and from now on, UGGs will be little more than glorified house slippers for me.

2) I haven't met a man yet that thinks UGGs are cute. In fact, I imagine every time a man sees a girl wearing UGGs he is thinking "ya might as well put your period pants on while you're at it".

3) They're expensive! I purchased some Sorel boots the other day, which are not only cute (even described as "hot" by a couple men I know), but they're also designed as all-weather shoes, meaning I can face the elements and slosh through as many puddles as I want without concern. My Sorel boots cost me $110. The starting price for UGGs is $120, with an average pair at about $160. Seriously? For slippers...

But the real dilemma, my friends, is that I like UGGs! They're cute (why do us women think they're cute?) and they're comfy! They look great with a pair of skinny jeans. They just suck at everything else.

Well, I guess as long as I have a sister who gives me her hardly-worn hand-me-downs, I will be rocking UGGs for a while yet!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your comment on!