Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Getting Rid of the Baggage

I might have mentioned that I don't hold any resentment towards my ex; In fact, after the initial anger and shock, I consider myself quite lucky, as we have a healthy and friendly relationship. This is mostly convenient due to our close proximity of working together and living next door to each other (I know it sounds super weird, but really isn't bad!). I haven't had the slightest interest in getting back together with him, and we are able to be fairly open with each other without any bitterness.

Sadly though, I learned today that a girl he is dating is quite threatened by our friendship. I understand the concern, considering that I am cool and well, kinda cute. :) He confided in me today that she has repeatedly voiced her dislike of our friendship, and even went as far as to tell him he just needs to get rid of that "baggage"- that "baggage" being me.

As I mentioned, I cannot blame her for finding our relationship weird, and not wanting to deal with the reality that we are friends. Anyone dating a divorcee would agree. What I found the most awesome is that I am being referred to as "baggage"! That's a new one!

At any rate, through the experience of my recent break up, I have learned a lot about what I want and who I want to be. I have definitely become more of a "take it or leave it" type, unapologetic for who I am. I am no longer afraid of being rejected by guys, probably because I have already had to confront that exact fear, and I came out of it alive. I feel a lot more confident in relationships, and am probably the one playing hard to get more than the guys I date. And I have never been happier in the dating world because of it! I just wish that other people could feel the same way, that they could be confident and fearless in love. It's just sad because Ex has a bad habit of attracting (and being attracted to) needy women- because he likes to feel needed. But when they get needy, he doesn't like it! Ah, the irony.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Get your comment on!